It can be difficult to determine quality home care services for an elderly adult. After all, this is a life-changing decision that will impact your loved one in a very significant way.
You can feel more at ease during a difficult time by choosing the right type of home care service. More families are opting for in-home care rather than nursing homes and residential facilities in Philadelphia.
Rather than moving to an unfamiliar city, your loved one can remain at home. You can get your loved ones the expert care they need at home safely and affordably. This blog post will provide some tips to help you choose the right home care agency for your elderly loved one.
What Can Home Care Services Offer?
Caregiving in the home is provided by licensed and fully trained individuals who come to your home and assist you with your daily activities. Home care services can offer a wide range of assistance, depending on the needs of your loved one.
Services can include:
– Assistance with bathing, grooming, and dressing
– Meal preparation and diet monitoring
– Medication reminders
– Transportation to doctor appointments and other errands
– Assistance with laundry and light housekeeping
Home care agencies should be able to customize a care plan that meets the needs of your elderly loved one. They should also offer 24/hour support, so you can rest assured knowing that help is always available when needed.
How to Choose the Right Home Care Agency
When choosing a home care agency, it is important to do your research. Here are some factors to keep in mind:
- Home care agencies should be licensed and insured – All home care agencies should be licensed by the state they operate. Home care agencies should also be insured, so you can be confident that your loved one will receive quality care.
- The agency should have a good reputation – You don’t want just anybody coming into your home. Home care agencies should have a good reputation in the community. Be sure to read online reviews and talk to other families who have used the agency’s services.
- The caregivers should be fully trained – The caregivers who work for the home care agency should be thoroughly trained and experienced. They should also be background checked and have up-to-date CPR certification.
- The agency should offer a free consultation – Home care agencies should provide a free consultation so you can get to know the staff and tour the facility. This is an excellent opportunity to ask any questions you may have about the services offered.
- Transparency about their pricing – Theirs is no one size fits all home care packages, so home care pricing will vary depending on the needs of your loved one. Home care agencies should be upfront about their pricing and offer various payment options.
Choosing quality home care services for an elderly adult doesn’t have to be complicated. Just keep these factors in mind, and you’ll be sure to find the right agency for your loved one.
Determine Your Needs
Before you begin your search, you should have an overall idea of what services you need. There is a wide variety of home care services available, and they can be quite different. Avoiding calling providers that cannot meet your requirements will save time. You may want to get a summary of the recommendations from your loved one’s physician or hospital staff or have them refer you to a professional they trust.
The Home Care Association of America (HCAOA) also provides a free online service, the Home Care Checklist. This checklist will help you determine your needs and find agencies specializing in those services.
Know the Providers in Your Area
Look around online for information on home care service providers in your area if you aren’t familiar with them.
Check out the websites of each home care provider to get a better understanding of what they can offer and to see if they have any client testimonials. Chances are, you’ll recognize a few home care service providers you’re interested in calling or recognize a few that won’t be a great match.
Don’tDon’t stop at website visits when researching home care agencies for your elderly loved ones.
Put Your Loved One in Control
Give your loved one the option to be as involved in deciding who will provide their care as they wish. Elders who want to live at home often feel a sense of relief and control when they can pick the person or company that will help them do so.
By the time they require home care services, many elderly adults have already had a bad experience with someone in a position of power making decisions for them. Getting your loved one involved in the decision process will help them feel more empowered and independent, so it’s important that they have a say in who provides their care.
Do a Deep-Dive on the Provider
Once you have a shortlist of potential home care service providers, please Get to know their business by making phone calls and asking questions. Consider the following questions as a starting point.
- What are the hours of operation?
- What type of care is offered (homemaker services, personal care, skilled nursing, etc.)?
- How many caregivers will be assigned to my loved one, and what are their qualifications?
- Are meals provided, and can dietary restrictions be accommodated?
- Are there any accreditations, and how long have they been operating?
- What training do they provide their employees?
- What are their emergency procedures?
Most Philadelphia home care providers will be glad to answer any questions you have to ensure you make an informed choice. If you aren’t satisfied with any of the responses you receive, try another provider until you find a match.
Interview Caregiving Service Providers
Ask to talk with a few of their in-home caregivers once you have found a home care provider that feels like an excellent match for your family member.
A caregiver will spend a lot of time with your loved one at home; you should choose someone you feel comfortable with. Ensure that potential caregivers are compatible with your loved ones by inviting them to your home.
Choose Linda’sLinda’s Care Home Care
Linda’sLinda’s Home Care understands that choosing a home care provider can be challenging. Our commitment to providing quality home care services that are transparent and professional. If you’re in need of home care in Philadelphia, contact us today.